Monday, November 15, 2010

PE4_Google Docs

Hello again folks!  Welcome back to my blog and thanks for the support.  I recently was enticed by an assignment of finding a tool that serves practical purposes in my environment.  Google Docs has been a joy to discover, but the reality had not dawned on me that I can solve a flash-drive problem at my high school.  My students have a hard time of hanging on to those things, for whatever reason that is.  I want a way to solve the problem for students who are forgetful and whom have circumstances of why they don't have their  flash-drives.  So i investigated the potential; my number 1 source?  Lynda.com.

As you can see with the above image, I was able to insert Power Point Presentations; the one above is a Computer Orientation for the first days of class.  I found that presentations that the Lynda tutorial stated of a Power Point 07 not to properly load, but proceeded to convert and upload as a 97-03 format.  Google Docs can serve a purpose in my classroom though because of the upload ability of Word, Excel, and PDF's.  I love how you can transfer files and you can have accessibility to your igoogle features.

The second image shows a built file list in my All items mode.  I am starting to have confidence in the possibilities of introduce this tool to my class.  I have to increase my knowledge of these features, but thus far, I've been impressed with the innovation of Google.  For them to create something of a web ecosystem has been marvelous with virtually no expense but a computer and internet, it's something.   Google Docs and it's versatility carry an abundance of weight with them, as it's an easy plug-in with Microsoft Office, one of the course applications I teach.  Do the documents upload perfect?  An example of a bad experiment might be more of a document with complex formatting settings.  However many standard documents are easily plug able.   In addition, the tutorial covered many ways to use ready-to-go templates at Google Docs disposal.  

I was thoroughly impressed with my initial experiences in really digging in Google Docs potential and impact on my classroom.  Stay tuned for further updates on the Google Docs week experiment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment