Monday, November 15, 2010

PE6_First week wrapped up of Google Docs

Well everybody, Google Docs has proven to be a hit in the classroom.  They are finding out the connect-ability of Google to many gadgets and features tying into Microsoft Office and other classes for school.  Bottom line, Google has created a hybrid learning environment that caters to exact wants of my students.  I've gone over the standard stuff that we learned in MLR that has tied in perfectly to the hook of iGoogle.  Once I showed them the accessibility of many platforms within one, using the box of links and other gadgets, students found many relevant things for other classes and time management organizers.

Enter the combination of using iGoogle, and your assignments as a folder to store needed materials without having to carry so much as a backpack.  The students loved that idea.  I also introduced the advance capabilities using current Android market phones that many students use.  Android market phones run Google software that synchronizes perfectly for a Personal Learning Environment (PLE).

However, the meat and potatoes of this exploration is to use Google Docs as a one-stop shop to carry the majority of information.  At this point, I started to implement more collaboration assignments with Google Docs.  The students saw how easy it was to grade each other's weekly practical work.  This allowed for instant feedback for students, however I reached the goal of planting the seed of collaboration.  Another task I had them do is the filming of a movie illustrating the importance of online safety.  My students were forced to use their own time for collaboration wisely.   This is an ongoing assignment so I will share a video once I get them submitted.  I do know that because we are not working on this project as an in-class assignment, my students have mentioned that iGoogle was a main catalyst in communication as well as Facebook;  the interesting thing now is, Facebook is now apart of their iGoogle page as a gadget.   My hopeful expectation is that they may carry this tool into other classes consistently and build on the sustainability aspect.  As I proceed further into the capabilities of Google Docs, I will find cool features to implement and close the sale of this wonderful product Google has provided us with.  Thank you for following this Blog and stay tuned for further practical experiences within Google Docs.

No comments:

Post a Comment